Sunday, 26 February 2012

WHAT SKILLS DO I NEED? 2: BACKGROUND AND SETTING OBSERVATIONAL DRAWING

Backgrounds, scenery, setting, light and dark: MISE-EN-SCENE

As an illustrator, especially an illustrator of fairy tales, cautionary tales, myths and legends atmosphere is everything. I need to collate information that can be used to inspire background and setting. Visual notes are important here because sets like castles, mountains, cottages etc. need to look legitimate. Yes, we can take artistic licence, especially as what we are capturing is, in a sense 'magical'  but I think I can draw on observational drawings and photographs of castles, houses, scenery etc.

Hereford Cathedral 


The outside view of the Cathedral, I envisage this as a set for 'Beauty and the Beast' because of the high arch, Gothic windows, darkened stone and decorative carvings.


The inside of the Cathedral, if you took the pews out of the picture you could manipulate it into a grand dining room, hall or entrance. There are all sorts of illustrative possibilities.

 I like the contrast of the bright light through the darkness and although stained glass is often used in illustrations of castles and Cathedral, indeed, we see it in the Disney adaption of 'Beauty and the Beast.' However, I like the stark shapes and colours of this image and although it is not a fantastic photograph, that metaphorical symbolism could prove inspirational in future illustrations.




The above show stonework, I like to think of it more in terms of flat sections of colour and tone as opposed to individual shapes and lines. This is the Cathedral crypt and with the light struggling to shine through the windows I think this poses an interesting concept.

Building and Architecture based on drawings trips (as above) and other found locations. observational 


church 16th c. foundations 

Student bar
19th c. park building 




Chapel 




print from chapel sketch

Cirencestor Church 

1920's houses from cemetery 

original sketch of church 


Authorship: Personal Practice and Observational sketches based on character an location 


situations 

Public Transport 



Mannequin story -Lonely mannequin 







Pittivers Museum Drawings-Oxford 







The Folk Museum 
 





Building up an encyclopedia of drawings that I can refer to when creating my own images









No comments:

Post a Comment