Wednesday, 29 February 2012

THE FAIRY TALE CUPBOARD-FAIRY TALES IN THE REAL WORLD!

http://thefairytalecupboard.blogspot.com/

Firstly, the above is a link to a blog I love called 'The Fairy Tale Cupboard.' Fairy-tales are my 1 MAIN inspiration as an illustrator and my dream is to one day be illustrating Grimm and Andersen (my hero's!). This blog is brilliant because it keeps me up to date with whats going on in 'the real world!' Artists, costume designers, sculptors, writers and directors are STILL playing with these stories and altering them everyday, and its important to keep track. This site helps me to do this and have re-introduced me to an artist/sculpture who I had forgotten I LOVE.

SU BLACKWELL 

Blackwell spends hours trawling charity shops looking for old books. She is mostly inspired by fairy tales and this influence is evident in the genre and style of her work. Once she has found her story she will spend ours cutting and crafting the pages of the books themselves to create an artwork. The end product is a gorgeous sculpture/dress/instillation that will go towards a specific gallery exhibition or her own personal works.

This is one of her new works, I couldn't find out a great deal about the story behind it but I think it may be inspired by the dress in Cinderella as it vanishes. As a costume for a modern/Gothic fairy tale this would work brilliantly.


Through the looking glass: Alice in Wonderland.


This is from 'The Secret Garden' although I also think the image has an aura of snow white about it that I would like to capture in an illustration. 


This is my favourite of Blackwell's. Her motto is 'Paper is Art' and this piece makes me believe it. I think it is taken from Cinderella.

 The Wizard of Oz. More colourful than her usual artworks but a fun image...if not slightly scary?!

THE TEA PARTY: her most famous image from Alice in Wonderland. 

FAIRY TALES are all over the media at the moment. I can take all sorts of inspiration from this...my ultimate goal, I now know being to tell cautionary tales through inviting escapism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment